How can one celebrate #meatlessmonday while still paying homage to the highly treasured Burger on its National Day? With this medi-veggie burger, it seems like the wellness stars are totally aligned. Thanks to Donal Skehan and his new 'Fresh' recipe book, the classic burger just got a major upgrade.
HALLOUMI BURGERS WITH SHAVED VEGETABLE SLAW
Time: 40 mins
A “burger” with a difference and one of my favourite ways to enjoy garlic mushrooms- sandwiched between toasted brioche buns with salty haloumi cheese and sweet onion marmalade.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the shaved vegetable slaw and season to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic and thyme until smooth.
- Spread each mushroom generously with the butter mixture and place under a hot grill. Cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Toast the buns until lightly golden.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat, add a little oil to the pan and then fry the halloumi slices until golden brown on either side. Remove to a plate, keep war and set aside.
- Spread the red onion marmalade generously on each of the buns, top with the mushrooms, halloumi slices, slaw, rocket leaves, sprouts and avocado.
- Top with burger buns tops and serve.
The original was first published by Donal Skehan and is available here.
About Donal Skehan
Donal Skehan is a Irish food writer, food photographer and television presenter living in Los Angeles, USA.